Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Not-Damask-Bride

The way I see it, damask is the undisputed champion of weddings these days. Wedding blogs are full of inspiration for the "damask bride". I have to admit, I love the idea of damask. It's romantic, it provides a theme and central focus to the wedding, and gives texture to the decor. However, I had a problem with jumping on this bandwagon. I really wanted to find a theme that had a similar feel, but was a little bit more unique.

After deciding on the ivory and navy blue colour scheme, I began searching for inspiration. I had this idea in my head to find striped table cloths. I didn't manage to find any, but I did find this:




This is Toile de Jouy and according to wikipedia:

"Toile de Jouy, sometimes abbreviated to simply "toile", is a type of decorating pattern consisting of a usually white or off-white background on which a repeated pattern depicting a fairly complex scene, generally of a pastoral theme such as (for example) a couple having a picnic by a lake. Toiles also often consists of an arrangement of flowers".

I love it! I love that it's 17th century France, I love that it's pastoral, that it's floral, and that it depicts love! I am going to use it as an accent throughout the wedding, although Mama Pudding has expressed concern that using this pattern for table cloths might be a bit much :P

Were you inspired by a textile?

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it might be a "bit much" to use this fabric as tablecloths, but it would make a lovely table square or runner! Or maybe you could incorporate some china with a similar pattern in your centerpieces. :]

    ReplyDelete