Monday, October 12, 2009

Water, Water Everywhere!

During my practice teaching term in college, I started drinking lots of water. As a teacher, I HAVE to constantly hold something in my hand to ease the awkward moments when I ask a question, and my students don't know the answer. Instead of standing at the front of the room feeling like an idiot during the longest silence ever, I would take a sip of water. Coffee works too, but I was too lazy to get up in the morning to make it, and it cost like $1.25 in the cafeteria. Hey, I needed that money for shoes!

Anyway, my Nalgene bottle (BPA and all) became my prop of choice. I was thrilled to discover that there were other benefits to the habit! Mostly, my usually acne-prone-when-stressed-or-about-to-get-a-visit-from-that-certain-aunt skin had never looked better!

Since than, I have dropped the water habit, and picked up a very nasty caffeine addiction. My skin has also gotten a lot worse. I always thought that people grew out of acne, but at 26, I feel like that is just not in the cards for me. I have the typical adult acne on my chin and cheeks, and this will not do for my wedding day! I am determined to do something about it.

Currently, I am trying out different combinations of cleansers, toners/astringents, and moisturizers hoping that something will work. I am also drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day. Now, upon doing some research, I have found that there is actually little scientific proof that drinking lots of water aids in the curing of acne. However, drinking water has a lot of added benefits, since it:
  • regulates appetite

  • increases metabolism

  • boosts energy levels

  • helps reduce blood pressure

  • helps reduce high cholesterol

  • eases joint pain

So, I figure, since it can't do any harm, I might as well keep drinking. And if it happens to do something positive for my skin, so much the better!

Do you have any home remedies for acne prone skin?

No comments:

Post a Comment