Monday, November 23, 2009

Addressing the Dress: Bringing in the Big Guns

After finally realizing that the cheapest option for purchasing my dress was the boutique where I originally found it, I was ready to place the order. The only problem was the fact that I was now in Vermont with Mr. Pudding, and a trip to the Greater Toronto Area was not in our plans. I figured that since the store already had my measurements, it was safe to send Mama Pudding to place the order by herself.

Now, let me tell you something about Mama Pudding: She is an expert negotiator (maybe haggler is a better term). She truly tries to talk herself into a discount on EVERYTHING. This is not a skill that was passed on to me, so even though it can get embarrassing at times, I am happy to have Mama Pudding in my corner.

So of course when it came time to place the order on the dress, Mama Pudding went in with a plan. She could have placed the order over the phone, since that's what we were originally told to do. Instead, she decided that face to face would lend itself to a better negotiation. She drove the hour it takes to get to the boutique from her house, and ended up getting 10% off the dress, 50% off the veil, and 30% off of the custom cut costs (my dress can't be hemmed and the standard size is too long (even in heels) - being 5'9, this was a surprise). Mama Pudding did good, and I was once again happy that she was on my side.

Did you manage to get a discount on your dress?

No comments:

Post a Comment