Thursday, November 19, 2009

Addressing the Dress: Outsourcing

Catch up on my dress buying experience here.

When I last left you, Mama Pudding and I were debating whether buying a beautiful sample dress at a greatly reduced cost made more sense than buying more (4 times more!) expensive dream dress.

After my "Engagement Party" dress experience, I was very open to the suggestion that a less expensive dress was the way to go. In your comments, many of you mentioned how beautiful that dress was. This made me smile because I really was very "meh" about the dress when I bought it. I couldn't find anything that was quite "bridal" enough, so I settled. And you know what? On the day, I looked beautiful in the dress. I really, truly believe that "I" looked beautiful in the dress, and not that the "dress" looked beautiful on me. This was because I was extremely, deliriously happy on that day, and I would have looked beautiful in a burlap sack. Keeping this in mind, it would have been very easy for Mama Pudding to convince me that the cheaper dress was the way to go.

Alas, Mama Pudding is never one to sacrifice quality for a good price. When I started leaning towards the cheaper dress, Mama Pudding put it like this: "Miss Pudding, if we had to choose a dress from that one boutique, and no other dresses existed, we would buy the sample gown and you would look gorgeous. This is your day, and you deserve YOUR dress, not just A dress."

With Mama Pudding's blessing, I was excited to finally order my dream dress. But before that happened, I had one more brilliant idea. San Patrick is a Spanish line. Spain is in Europe, and (as you know) we were going to Europe that summer! We were going to Poland, not to Spain, but I thought that maybe the dress would be cheaper there because it didn't have to be shipped as far or something. Mama Pudding and I did visit a bridal salon in Warsaw, Poland that carried the line, but, to our complete shock, the dress was actually quite a bit more expensive in Poland than in Canada! This was very surprising, because the average standard of living in Poland is lower than that of Canada, and I can't imagine many people wanting to spend this much money on a wedding dress!

Did you purchase (or look into purchasing) your wedding dress in another country?

No comments:

Post a Comment