Monday, November 2, 2009

Who Wants to have Their Wedding on a Mountain Top Anyway?

Let me tell you, I have seen my share of raised eyebrows when people hear my answer as to the location of our wedding. It seems that people think that we are crazy to sacrifice this:


(source)

For this:


(source)

With the struggle of the automotive industry, my home town just east of Toronto has taken quite a hit. The city most famous for a historical strike, has been (harshly) described in a recent newspaper article as "little more than a hollowed-out downtown surrounded by sprawl".

So, when given a choice between having our wedding in the beautiful state of Vermont, or in Ontario, our choice was clear: we were getting married in Oshawa.

The decision was an obvious one because of several factors. First of all, since (realistically) I would be the one responsible for most of the planning, it made sense to plan the wedding in a community that I was familiar with. Second, my Polish family does not understand the concept of a "destination wedding" (much like Mama Sea Breeze). If I sent them invites to a wedding in Vermont, I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of them just sent a gift. Actually, that's incorrect, they would probably insist on an at home party, or invite themselves over to Mama Pudding's house to celebrate (with or without Mr. Pudding and me).

But the final, and perhaps most important reason why we decided to have the wedding in Ontario is the fact that it is Polish custom to be married in the bride's home town. I have heard that this is custom in North America as well, but it's not as strictly followed. I wanted to get married where I grew up, and it meant the world to Mama Pudding to be "the hostess" of the wedding.

Luckily, Mr. Pudding new how much this meant to me and did not put up a fuss.

Is your wedding in a location that others might find "undesirable"?

No comments:

Post a Comment